Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Busy Bees

Happy Monday! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, where ever you were!

DH & I had fun weekend coupled with gorgeous warm sunny California weather (high 70s).

Fri – I went to DH’s game. Initially, I was hesitant in coming as I would most likely have to babysit 2 of DH’s team mate’s young boys (he could only play if someone could watch his kids while he played). As someone reminded me, babysitting should not preclude me from going to the game if I wanted to. True, true. I just did not want to get stuck babysitting 2 young boys, what if they were brats? I didn’t know the team mate well enough nor his kids to feel comfortable with the responsibility.

Ironically, I did end up watching RJ’s 4 y/o daughter, K, for most of the game. I did not mind watching K as she is a sweetheart and RJ is a pretty close friend of DHs. K sat on my lap as we watched the boys play. I taught her how to yell Go Daddy!” when her Dad was up at bat. I taught her to say “Good job, Daddy!” when RJ scored. She also said “Good Job, Uncle DH” and gave DH a high five. She is soo adorable. She was well behaved during the game and even offered me some of her raisins.

DH’s team unfortunately lost the game.

Sat – I had a date with my Mom. Mom came to the city and we spent the day at SF’s shopping district, Union Square. I love shopping with Mom. She’s one of the few people I love to window shop with. She knows what clothes I like and would look good on me. We spent the day walking around and just spending time with each other. I treated her for lunch when we took a breather around noon. I bought 3 work tops from Banana Republic, while Mom bought a couple of sweaters from Nordstrom’s.

DH in the meantime was left to his own devices so he decided to spend the day with his nephew. They went to the park to hit some wiffle balls. DH was trying to teach him hitting/catching. Afterwards, they spent afternoon at the SF Zoo. DH didn’t take the nephew to Target as he didn’t want a repeat of the previous tantrum.

DH & I met up back at home late afternoon where we headed to my in-laws house for dinner and take the nephew home. DH’s favorite moment was when his nephew gave him a hug and said, “You’re my favorite Uncle”. Awwwww…..

Sun – I went to Sunday mass and returned home with brunch prepared by DH. So sweet! Since it was a warm sunny day, DH felt like going on a hike at Muir Woods.

We took the Coastal Trail to the Pantoll Ranger Station for the 1st leg. 5 minutes into the hike the terrain immediately inclined. We climbed around 1200 feet in the first hour. Normally, a hard climb in itself but yesterday was miserable as it was very hot.

We kept ourselves hydrated and pushed along and after almost 90 minutes of climbing, we emerged to a clearing. We were rewarded with the most magnificent view of the coast and of Stinson Beach!

This was what we were working so hard for for the last hour. We took a break and took in the amazing view and continued on our hike. Once we reached the end of our 1st leg at the ranger station, we took a lunch break and ate our sandwiches. Half an hour later, we were back on our feet for the hike back to the car. We took a different route and it was much easier this time as most of the trail was downhill.

In total, we hiked 6 miles round trip. We started at 1.50p and ended at 5.40p with some stops and a lunch break in between.

We felt pretty miserable after the hike but enthusiastic at completing a great hike. We rewarded ourselves by going to SF Chinatown for dinner. It felt like we expended 5000 calories from the hike, we were starving! After a dinner of noodles, shrimp dumplings and beef porridge, I felt like I ate the 5000 calories I just lost. :p

Question of the day: What was the highlight of your weekend?

10 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

The highlight of my weekend happened Friday afternoon--a scene I witnessed at a restaurant. I posted it. Made me feel good to know that there are some people out there who don't sweat the small stuff.

May 7, 2007 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger megabrooke said...

sounds like a real good weekend! any kids in the future for you and dh? ha, glad the target episode wasn't reinacted!!

that hike sounds great (tiring, but so worth it!)... and i love shopping with my mom too.

the highlight of my weekend was wearing new shoes, going out for birthday cocktails with my very best friends.

May 7, 2007 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Meeting Sarah's parents for the first time. :)

May 7, 2007 at 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, I love Sunday brunches! Hmm, as for the best part of my weekend? It's a tie between tasting my first gluten free peanut butter cookie and LOVING IT or a nap I had Sunday afternoon. Both were equally satisfying.

May 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Appletini said...

I absolutely LOVE hiking :)

May 7, 2007 at 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been born and raised in Tiburon reading your post made me wistful and longing for home...I am now in Orange County but miss the bay area - glad you had such a fab weekend!

May 8, 2007 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger ella said...

Question - you attend mass, but DH doesn't? If so does it bother you?

Highlight of my weekend? Yoga. It has been a while since I've been able to take more than one class a week, so it was a real treat to go twice.

May 8, 2007 at 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOVE hiking!!! I cried a lot this weekend, my wacom tablet died, I dreamed about my ex, my camera it`s on the fritz and my kids were soooo bad. The best thing that happened was that husband took the munchkins grocery shopping and I slept for three hours

May 8, 2007 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger acaligurl said...

i love union square, and i love to stop at the cheese cake factory after for a godiva cheesecake treat.!

May 8, 2007 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Angel - I read your entry and that patron handled the accident very well. I hope the waiter wasn't fired.

Brookem - DH & I hope to have kids someday. :) Happy Birthday!

Aaron - Sounded like the meeting went very well. :)

Brandy - DH usually prepares our weekend brunches. :)

Appletini and Princess Extraordinaire- Welcome! We like to hike and we are so lucky to have so many challending and scenic trails in SF Bay Area.

Ella - I'm Catholic and DH is not. I don't expect him to go to mass with me every Sunday. He does go on occassion or when I ask him to accompany me.

Ms Demielle - Welcome! I'm sorry to hear your Walcom Tablet died. A nap can always feel sooo luxurious especially when you need to recharge yourself.

Acaligurl - I love love union square especially with the addition of the new Bloomingdale mall. I second you on the Cheesecake Factory. :)

May 9, 2007 at 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home