Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

I just remembered today is Friday the 13th.

Not that it matters because I don't do anything differently on this superstitious day.

DH has a game tonight. He did not play last week as we went to our first baseball game of the season: SF Giants vs LA Dodgers.

It's a huge rivalry here in this neck of the woods. Whenever LA Dodger Jeff Kent comes up to the plate, he gets booed, very loudly, every single time. Jeff Kent was a former SF Giant before he left for LA. The fans don't like their boys leaving for the rival team, and the fans remind Jeff K. each time he is at the plate.

The game was cold (mid 50s), foggy and misty. This is typical SF at night games. We wear our ski clothes when we watch a night game (ski jacket, hat, scarf, gloves). Despite the frigid temp and the Giants loss, we had a blast! We brought sandwiches and some munchies. I bought cotton candy at the game.

I always have to buy cotton candy at sports events/theme parks. I think it's an emotional thing from childhood. I remember when I was younger - 9 or 10 yrs old, my Mom would take my cousin and I out on weekends. She would often buy a cotton candy to share with each other while we sit and talk. The sight, smell and taste of the cotton candy always brings me back to my childhood. I think that's why I'm drawn to it - it fondly reminds me of those special childhood moments.

When I'm in my senior years, cotton candy will bring me to these memories of watching baseball with DH.

Question of the day: What particular food(s) brings you back to your childhood days or remind you of a special memory?

5 Comments:

Blogger B said...

candy apple, I just had one this past week at an easter parade/ fair, I even do a little skip type dance when I have it handed to me :)

April 13, 2007 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger megabrooke said...

pb&fluff..... or old style "macaroni and hamburg" which my grandparents used to make, weekly. mmm.

no fights at the game this week i hope?

(ps- going to tahoe tomorrow--- too cold/rainy today!)

April 14, 2007 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger brandy said...

I could say anything 'homemade' because that never happens anymore, but if I had to pick one food, just one, I would go with cheese slices. I ate those like they were laced with crack when I was a kid. Now, if I even smell them my stomach hurts and I have to leave the room. But the years of my childhood will always smell like cheese. Have a good weekend!

April 14, 2007 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

Snow cones. Whenever I"m home and hear the music from the truck I have to go search for a dollar or two and rush out to buy one.

Star Crunches remind me of childhood too.

April 15, 2007 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Long John Silvers (drat, now I will need to go out and have some, and I just started my diet today too).
Anyway, on Sundays after church, my family, our cousins and family friends would venture to eat at this one particular Long John Silvers. I don't know why. This occurred for a good 5 to 8 years, until we grew up somewhat and realized we were eating grease (drat, I still need to go and have some). We then started eating at healthier places, ones which served salads and such.
You know, I really didn't want to have any Long John Silvers today, but I can't get it out of my mind now.

April 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home