Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Walkie Talkie

I am participating in a health event at work called “Healthy You”. It’s a walking challenge our company is coordinating.

A team consisting of 5 people will record their daily steps on a pedometer for 8 weeks. It’s a nationwide campaign and I think there are 2000+ participants. Pedometers are provided to each person. The top 5 teams are awarded with $500/team.

At our office location we have 30 people or 6 teams signed up. It’s about 50% participation. We have more staff participating in the walking challenge than those who attended our office party last March. I think the cash prize is a huge incentive for joining the walking challenge.

The challenge started last Monday. I’ve logged the following steps so far:

~Mon: 7500
~Tues: 6500
~Wed: 6300

Not bad so far and I can do better. My team captain has logged in 18000 each day. He walks his dog twice a day so he has an advantage.

Our team name is called, "Walkie Talkie".

DH is going to work out with me after work today. I’ve cut down my sweets intake dramatically for the past 2 weeks. That means no ice cream or chocolates … my weaknesses.

Maintaining good health is the best thing I’ve done for myself this month.

Question of the day: What’s the best thing you’ve done for yourself this week?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so cool. i wish i worked for a big enough company that did these things. good luck!

best thing i did for myself this wee was take it easy and enjoy every day. plus, last night's sushi helped! lol.

April 26, 2007 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger ella said...

I got a Thai massage last night. Combined with the whirlpool, steam room and sauna, it was heavenly!

April 27, 2007 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger megabrooke said...

im with kate- i wish my work did something like this! sounds fun- how do they make sure people don't cheat?

i PLAN to plant myself at barnes and noble this afternoon with a chai and some gossip magazines. that's my treat.

April 28, 2007 at 6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don`t like those if they have a weigh in. I just don`t want people to know...

April 28, 2007 at 6:36 AM  
Blogger B said...

I gave myself a gult free day off from exercising.

April 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM  
Blogger brandy said...

Sounds fun! As for the best thing I did for myself... sleeping in was up there. Oh, and going back into the grocery store because I had an instant craving for a rootbeer. I hadn't had one in so long!

April 29, 2007 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

This sounds like an awesome thing for an employer to support.

One of the best things I've done for myself in the last month is committing to running 3 miles a day 5-6 days a week. And of course, booking all of the fun stuff for my trip is nice too.

April 29, 2007 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'm late on this comment, so I'm essentially cheating.

I did this:

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/displaceme

Puts your life in an interesting perspective when you need to be reminded of your place in the world.

April 30, 2007 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Kate - Thanks! I hope my team is doing well.

Ella - Oooh a Thai massage sounds sooo wonderful. I'm in dire need of one plus the use of a steam room and whirlpool... sigh....

Brookem- We're using the honesty policy and hoping since we're all adults, there will be no cheating.

Miss Demiell - There's no weigh in, we just record our steps.

B- you deserve a guilt free exercise day. :)

Brandy - I hear you... on the weekday I could use an extra 1.5+ hrs of sleep. Oh and I love rootbeer... esp rootbeer floats.

Ally - good for you on the running. booking/planning a trip is always so fun.

Aaron - Thanks for the link... it's always cool to learn about new organizations or events like that.

May 1, 2007 at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home