Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Friday, March 9, 2007

Holiday Party

This may turn out to be a rant so please bear with me....

So this Saturday, our office will hold its "Holiday Party".

Holiday party in March you say? My thoughts exactly. Our company was planning to hold it in late January but due to venue and timing constraints it was pushed back to this month.

The VP of Human Resources had "volunteered" me to be in the holiday committee last October. Note that I did not volunteer to be in the committe, I was thrown into it. I love planning events, but for my own friends/ personal life, I do not enjoy planning an office party for 200 people. I occassionally plan lunches, showers, farewell celebrations during the course of the year already for the office so planning an office party is just something I'd rather someone else take on.

The VP had sent out an email to the company asking for volunteers for the party planning (after naming me) in Oct and Nov of last year. No response. So come December, I had sent out an email to the staff on my own recruiting some volunteers, I was not going to plan this on my own. Luckily, I was able to recruit 4 people and my coworker took on the role as chairman of the committee.

The planning process went well, we chose a venue in downtown SF. It's a gallery associated with a local winery. It's an event space that looks like an art gallery but is used for corporate eventsand such. Our party will be an evening of wine tasting event with music and small plates food.

The party will be held on a Saturday evening. I already see them 40 hrs/week. Do I really want to spend 4 hours of my Saturday night with them too? I guess I would have to since I'm part of the committee. I like my coworkers, but the ones I usually talk or hang out with, will not be in attendance.

The party headcount currently stands at 75 people, including guests (out of possible 180 total). My boss just received an email from the BIG Boss:

"I wanted you guys to see the list of attendees to the party. I am a little disappointed. There are only 41 employees attending, including 6 VPs. This is a lot of work and expense for less than half of our employees in the Bay Area. Anything you can do to encourage greater attendance amongst the troops."

Our group is very diversified from Indians, Russians, Europeans to Asians. As we were planning the party, we put into consideration the location, theme and food (we have a lot of vegetarians). The big boss seemed to like the wine tasting idea so we went with that.

My boss says he's not surprised at the low turnout. Not all will be wine drinkers, it's a Saturday night, a lot of them have small kids, some live about 50 miles away.

DH will be attending with me, of course. It will be a semi formal type affair. We plan to go to the party and spend about 2 hours and then make an exit.

The party is well planned. I know the party will be a success and we'll all have a good time. DH & I just don't want to stay around until 11p or it ends.

Question of the Day: How do we exit the party gracefully? What should we say when we say our farewells?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you exit, the best explanation is done. or a little joke.

or fake illness, that works too. :)

have fun.

March 9, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is "none," not "done." oopsie.

March 9, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Oh a toughie. A graceful exit. I'm stumped. Tell me how you do it though.

March 9, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger brandy said...

I suggest spilling wine on yourself and then saying something like 'what are you going to do?" while feigning a look of disappointment while you find your coat.

March 9, 2007 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger ella said...

Too bad you can't use the "kid" excuse. How about "we have to get up early the next morning to volunteer?"

March 9, 2007 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Just disappearing might be your best bet. I hate to lie, but I wouldn't want to hang out with coworkers until 11 either. While I'm with you on the feelings about work parties on the weekend, I like the idea of it being in March. My work often has two holiday parties in December, which I find super annoying--because to me Christmas is a time to be with family and friends. I've tried pushing for January--when my life isn't so busy with holiday festivities, but everyone else seems to be fine giving up their weekends/nights to work stuff.

March 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

What I am wondering is why more places don't have holiday parties in March.

March 10, 2007 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Foxy & Ally - saying nothing and just dissapearing is probably the best.

Brandy - that made me laugh. if i didn't like my dress, i may just try it...

Ella - i know. people use the "i have a kid" excuse for everything. DH & I cannot use it unfortunately.

Ally - i really do not want to spend 4 hours with my coworkers. i really only like a handful -- those i can spend an evening with. The rest it's enough i see them at work everyday.

Thomas - they should as the rental rates are a lot lower when it's not the peak of Christmas season.

March 10, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home