Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Friday, March 2, 2007

Earthquake!


OMG!! We just felt an earthquake here in the bay area... 4.2!! It struck at 8.40pm PST.

That's the strongest we've felt in awhile and I can tell you IT IS UNNERVING!!

No matter how many times I feel an earthquake, weak or strong it doesn't matter... it freaks me out as I do not know if this is the BIG ONE or if it will stop.

DH & I were in the living room eating dinner and watching "Survivor" when the house creaked, and we felt a slow rolling motion, sort of like a ripple, then as it started to get stronger DH said "is that an earthquake?".

I immediatley jumped off the couch and ran under the doorway, pizza in hand, my heart beating a hundred miles a minute. I was sooo scared thinking "what if this won't stop and this IS it?".

Thankfully, after about 5-7 loooong seconds, the rolling ceased and the house (and my heart) stood still and quiet.

We checked on the internet and learned the earthquake measured 4.2 and was centered in Lafayette, about 25 miles NE from San Francisco. My parents live near Lafayette so they felt it more. My mom said it was very strong and the house was shaking. They are ok and no damage was done.

Last Friday, an earthquake struck near Berkeley (about 10 miles East of SF), measured 3.2. I was at work and felt a sharp jolt, you could hear the building creak. We are located on the 6th floor of an 8 story building. When the earthquake struck, everyone stood up and you could see heads popping up from the cubicles. We all wondered the same thing, "Did you feel it? Was that an earthquake?".

It really is unnerving to feel the ground shake from underneath you and there's not a damn thing you can do but to take cover and hope it will stop.

Question of the day: Which is worse: earthquake or tornado?

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

From personal experience, I'll say tornado.

Earthquakes in Georgia are rare and usually elicit a "WTF was that?" response than an "OMG - Earthquake!" ;) But tornadoes are quite common here. Having witnessing two in CLOSE quarters, tornadoes evoke a great sense of fear for me. Especially the ones at night you can hear but can't see. So I suppose it's relative, based on what you're used to experiencing.

March 2, 2007 at 4:02 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

Hmm....the only earthquake I've ever felt was in Costa Rica--I was sitting on my bed and the room shook; I thought some large animal had jumped on the roof and later found out it was an earthquake. My point is that I've never experienced a really "big" earthquake, so it's hard to say.

One difference that occurs to me is that tornadoes are often anticipated, so for minutes or hours you're waiting for it to pass/happen, seeking a safer area, and possibly hearing the tornado. Earthquakes (I think) just happen.

March 2, 2007 at 4:32 AM  
Blogger JM said...

I think any natural catastrophe in which lives are put in peril is bad. I don't know which one is worse.

I felt an earthquake once and it was pretty scary. Very surreal for the earth to shake that way.

March 2, 2007 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger brandy said...

Having experienced neither, I'm going to say tornado. It just seems like it would be more violent. And of course, there is always the thought that it would bring me a bit closer to Bill Paxton, and that is a life long dream. I kid. Really.

March 4, 2007 at 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home