Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Adrenaline Junkie

I ran after work today. Gosh, it was tough. I've been trying to get more cardio in to get in shape. I'm not trying to lose weight but I'd like to have increased stamina and a toned body.

About 2-3x a week after work, I jog/run for about 20 minutes around the neighborhood. It's painful for me as jogging is so high impact but the effects and high I feel afterwards make up for the said pain during running. My body seems somewhat detoxified and "clean". The natural high I feel from the adrenaline is addicting.

DH is starting to jog more regularly too but he claims he does not feel the "high" afterwards. I said "are you kidding me? How can you NOT feel it?". DH: "I just don't... maybe I'm missing that gene???". I feel more energized after running, he feels more wiped out during the day.

He has asked me 2x this week if I wanted to run with him. I said sweetly that I'd rather run by myself for a few reasons:
  1. I'd feel that I am holding him back - I run slow
  2. He'd talk to me during the run - I can't jog, talk and breathe at the same time! I can multi task in other areas but not running.
  3. I rather enjoy the solidarity when I run by myself and listen to my ipod playlists
DH seemed to take it in stride and didn't feel too bad when I "rejected" his offer to run with him. Whew....

Question of the day: Do you feel a natural high when you exercise?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

I do. I wonder if your husband is pushing himself? I get much more of a rush when I have a hard workout and do intervals with running faster than if I do a slow jog. Just a thought.

March 1, 2007 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I don't think of it as much as a natural high as a sense of accomplishment? I feel kinda lethargic if I go more than a couple days without hitting the gym. Ok, so maybe it is a natural high.

March 2, 2007 at 3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home