Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Monday, April 2, 2007

Friday Night Lights

Friday night lights became ... Friday night fights.

Last Friday night was DH's first softball game of the Spring season!

The game was going extremely well with DH's team up 8-1 in the 2nd inning. A few wives and kids were watching the game from both teams during this warm Friday evening. b

AC, one of the wives, and I were enjoying the game when we noticed the secondbaseman (2B) from the other team and another guy talking animatedly to each other and almost bumping face to face. It looked liked a heated exchange with the 2B trying to calm the visiting guy down. Suddenly, arms were raised and punches were thrown!

I stood up from where I was sitting ready to move ... or run. 2B raced to the bleacher and picked up his bat. I don't know what his intention was but it did not look good at that point. I motioned to AC, who was still sitting, and told her it may be a good idea to move away and further down from the commotion.

Both men were screaming and still arguing. There were wives and kids on the other side of the bleachers near where the fight was. One of the wives told the visiting guy and his "gang" to calm down and leave 2B alone. There were kids around.

The game at this point has halted and everyone's attention was on the fight. The park is usually very family oriented and I've never seen any trouble at the park. 2B's enemy didn't look like a player... he and his gang of friends looked like they came to the park looking for him. They looked they were part of a gang as they all wore the same white shirt/black pants.

In any case, someone intervened and stopped the fight. The visiting troublemakers left the field without any further incident. It was quite a sight and pretty scary. This is the first time I've seen a fight in front of me where punches were thrown. I was getting alarmed as the visiting men looked liked a gang and you never know what will happen... I feared gunshots.

2B returned to the game and a few policemen arrived a few minutes later. The visiting gang had already left so the policemen hung around for awhile to make their presence known.

I mainted alertness throughout the game and watched for any suspicious activity. I was pretty scared that a drive by shooting or something worse would happen during the game. Thankfully, no further incident transpired.

Despite the distraction, DH's team did very well and they won the 1st game of the season 18-9!

I had fun at the game, despite the fight, as it's always exciting to watch DH play, who is clearly the best player on the team. Of course, I'm NOT biased about that. :)

Question of the day: Have you been in a situation where you feared for your or other's safety?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

Rec ball is taken to an entirely new level of excitement!

I was in the mall parking lot with my "little" in the Big Brothers program when we saw several white men beating a black man. I assumed it was racial-and either way was alarmed and called 911. Oddly my little wasn't disturbed by it at all--from living in her sort of rough neighborhood, she was used to it. Anyway, it turned out the guy getting the beating had stolen a woman's purse, and they were trying to stop him from getting away with it.

April 2, 2007 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Oh... more times than I could possibly care to comment on your blog. How about the time someone tried to carjack me in downtown Atlanta?

April 3, 2007 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger brandy said...

Anytime people try to talk to me before I've had my 10 minutes of silence in the morning, I fear not only for their safety, but for the safety of all of their loved ones. Seriously though, my answer is similar to Aarons 'more times than I could comment..'.

April 3, 2007 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger megabrooke said...

That scene at the game would make me nervous too. I have been fortunate. I've seen some almost-fights and it just makes me very nervous.

April 3, 2007 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger JM said...

I think many sport situations end up in fights. Part of the fun!

April 3, 2007 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Ally - that IS scary! i'm glad you called 911. Yes that was a different kind of excitement at the diamond and hopefully we won't see it again.

Aaron - i'm sorry to hear someone almost tried to carjack you... i'm glad that you were unscathed.

Brandy - me too! do not talk to me for the 1st 5 mins of when i wake up as i'm grumpy as hell. ;)

Brookem - it was scary as you just don't know what would have transpired next with the guys looking "thug like".

Angel - i expect that in hockey, but when family/ kids are around watching and enjoying the game, it's just not the place for it.

April 6, 2007 at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home