Reality Bites

Random musings of reality bytes ... when reality bites.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Sex

Last Fri at our 12 week appointment, we heard the baby's heartbeat for the very first time!!! It was the most magical sound I've ever heard.

The doc squirted the gel on my tummy and moved the instrument around to find the baby's heartbeat. It took her awhile to find it, and that of course almost gave me a heart attack. Cuz when you're pregnant, everything freaks you out, what you feel and what you don't feel. At least for me as it's our first time, I worry about everything. I'm glad that DH is always with me at the doc appts.

After what seemed like forever (really 10 seconds in real time) we heard the whooshing whooshing sound on the doppler machine speaker. It was strong, fast and music to our ears. I'll never forget DH's face as I was watching him. He had a concentrated focused look as the doc searched for the heartbeat. As soon as the heartbeat filled the room, DH's expression softened and big smile slowly broke across his face. A very proud look, like hey, that's my son/daughter. It was a proud and happy moment for both of us. :)

The baby is progressing normally and everything looks good. We've completed the 1st trimester so we've been sharing our news with friends.

We don't know the sex yet. The picture from my last post shows his/her foot sticking out, not his penis. Altho if that were his penis, DH would be proud at the size.. hahaha....

We won't know the sex until the next ultrasound, 2 mos away. I'm still debating. I do not want to know the sex right now. DH does.

I just feel waiting to find out until birth makes it more special. Finding out early is like knowing or opening your Christmas gift on July 4th.

I know most people would like to know ahead of time to start planning (colors, nursery, names, etc)....

I agree that it's good to know for planning but I feel there's only a few good great surprises in life. Why rush this one.

At least not knowing yet will give me more of an incentive to push harder once delivery time comes. :)

As for sex as in s-e-x, I'm afraid there's not much of that lately. :( I've just been always tired and not in the mood. I may not have gotten morning sickness but as a tradeoff the libido is non existent. Well, there's light at the end of the tunnel as I can feel it slowly coming back as I enter my 2nd trimester.

DH should be happy to hear that!! ;)

Question of the day: Would you want to know the sex ahead of time or surprised at birth?

11 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

YES!

After the baby is born, you won't have time for planning, colors, decorating, etc!

August 14, 2007 at 4:55 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

I used to think a surprise would be best, but then I checked out the clothing options for unknown gender. It's all a horrible color of green or yellow--not nearly as cute as the gender-specific clothes. Plus there could be no cute monogrammed gifts since you wouldn't know the name yet.

Other than clothing though, I could see waiting....so maybe waiting to find out with a second or third child.

August 14, 2007 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger megabrooke said...

oh your post is so sweet trixie. i have tears in my eyes; i am so happy for you and your dh.

you know, i constantly go back and forth whether i would want to know the sex. i too think i would like to be surprised. i agree about the outfits and the planning... but i also agree with you, this is just one of the hugest surprises in life. i just dont know for sure.

August 14, 2007 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger ella said...

From what I've heard is that the libido actually goes up when you are preggers. ;)

And I would definitely want to know the sex of the child. My parents didn't know when I was born, ergo all my baby stuff was either yellow or green. Yuck.

August 14, 2007 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger SWF42 said...

I didn't know the gender with either one of my kids, and I'm happy I did it that way.

As for clothing options, you don't need that much for a newborn, anyway, and there are very cute gender-neutral sleepers, etc. out there. If you want a 'going home' outfit, just buy one for each and take the one that's not appropriate back after the birth.

There's just something very magical about that "You have a son/you have a daughter" moment that's not duplicated when you hear it because of an image on a grainy ultrasound screen.

My vote, from a been there/done that perspective...you won't be sorry if you wait.

August 14, 2007 at 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with brookem in waiting. Everyone I talked to who DID wait are glad that they did. I realize that the clothing/decorating may not come together as soon as planned, but I think finding out the day you meet him/her for the first time, is pretty special and outweighs the hassle of shopping later. But that's just me.

August 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Appletini said...

Ohh, I am a total planner..... I would need to know :)

i am soooo happy for you two :)

August 14, 2007 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger JM said...

Yes! I would definitely want to know. You have to plan certain things out. There isn't time after the baby is born to plan anything.

August 16, 2007 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger JM said...

Did I also tell you that I'm happy for you!

August 16, 2007 at 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It started off by my wanting to know the sex so that I could plan and choose colors and decorate....the ususal stuff....but I found that as time passed and I knew the sex of my baby, we started calling him by his name, he wasn't just "baby" anymore, and I felt a lot more connected to this little human growing in my tummy. When he was born, we had already bonded months before and it was so exciting to welcome him out to the world, where I could finally hug him.

August 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger B said...

surprised for sure!

August 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home